A group of internet artists from all over the place who have decided to give each other a challenge every few weeks, on a theme chosen by each in turn. We have different ideas and styles, but share a love of textiles, and want to have some fun.


Monday 16 July 2012

land(marks) earth pleiades

this is my piece for the latest International Art Quilt Challenge:  it was my turn to choose the theme - land(marks).


this reflects two recurring themes in my work:  the landscape of Central Australia with it's red dirt and dry riverbeds and the Pleiades, or Seven Sisters constellation. 
i needlefelted alpaca fleece from local breeders, Melrose Alpacas (thanks Fiona!) onto silk chiffon and then machine stitched with silk thread. It was eucalypt dyed and handstitched onto the black linen background with silk, perle 8 and stranded cotton.

it's 41x33cm

3 comments:

Claire said...

Lovely piece, Lisette. It really gives the impression of red earth. Landmarks was a great theme to work to, I could have done a number of quilts based on that theme alone.

Felicity said...

thank you - it's a recurring image for me. central australia is a haunting place :)

Kit Lang said...

I told you on your blog already *s*, but I do love this piece - love all that texture and how it's like an aerial view - and your stitching is luscious!