A group of internet artists from all over the place who have decided to give each other a challenge every few weeks, on a theme chosen by each in turn. We have different ideas and styles, but share a love of textiles, and want to have some fun.


Wednesday 6 March 2013

RULES OF SYMMETRY

I apologise for not explaining these in the course of my post for 'Reflections'.  I am afraid that I did not give thought to whether members were acquainted with these so I shall try to put matters right.

Very briefly, these rules form the basis of all pattern repeats & apparently the building blocks for crystallography & some of Escher's work as well.  They include arrangements such as mirror, flip, drop, half-drop, glide etc.  I can point you to some books which should help.  The best one for quilters is probably Ruth McDowell's 'Symmetry' as she uses a hand symbol to illustrate the various orientations.  Also useful is Jinny Beyer's 'Discovering Tessellations' & Peter Phillips's 'Handbook of Regular Patterns'.  An Internet search will reveal 'Wallpaper Groups' on a Clark University site.  These amount to the same thing but are a bit complicated if you are unfamiliar with the principles.

I hope this helps.  If you still cannot find anything e-mail me.

Is there going to be a new challenge soon?

1 comment:

Julie said...

Thank you Jenny. Plenty of resources there to consult.